John "Slo" Maggard of
I recently had the chance to interview John "Slo" Maggard, bassist from Unearth and talk about the upcoming Sounds of the Underground tour. HAve a read and learn a little more about him and the band...
Our magazine is called defy unlearn because we strive to defy labels and want people to “unlearn” what they have been taught.
1.What does “defy unlearn” mean to you?
Slo: Defy Unlearn means to me precisely what is stated above. Question everything! The answers are out there, but you must ask the right questions.
2. When doing interviews is there a question you hate being asked?
Slo: There is no particular question that I hate. I just hate being asked the same question that can be found in every other interview that we have done.
3a. How about a question you wish someone would ask you? b. Can you please answer that question?
Slo:There really is no particular question that I would wish to be asked. I just like being asked questions that can leave room for a more involved and maybe even perhaps philosophical answer.
4. What kind of role did music play in your life when you were growing up?
Slo: Music was everything to me. When I was young, my family went through some questionable times, and the crappy guitar sitting in the corner was my escape to another place.
5. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Slo: Well, for now, I am attempting to be a professional gambler.
6. Which of your songs would you like to see a cover version of and who would you like to see do it?
Slo: I would like This Lying World to be covered by Every Time I Die. If they read this, I am sure they will get a good laugh!
7. What song do you like to perform the most live?
Slo: This Lying World.
8. Can you tell me one thing that makes a really good audience? Anything the people coming to see you at the Sounds of the Underground tour can do to show you their love?
Slo: Many different kinds of people make a good audience. If the world is a stage, then it would take all kinds of people to make it worth standing on. The kids can show their love by just having a good time. That’s the only reason we should be doing this anyhow, to have a good time.
9. Is there anyone on the Sounds of Underground tour that you haven’t played with and you’re really looking forward to sharing the bill with?
Slo: I am looking forward to seeing Clutch every night. I have been a fan for a long time and looking forward to getting to know those cats.
10. How does it feel to be part of the first annual Sounds of the Underground tour?
Slo: It feels great. Opportunities like this don’t come around often, it is great to be a part of something brand new. I hope this tour becomes huge one day so that I can look back and say that I was a part of that.
11. If Ben & Jerry made an ice cream in your honor and allowed you to create & name it, what would it be called and what would be in it?
Slo: It would be a chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter combo called “The Oncoming Swirl”
-Tour Interview Section-
Can you think back to the beginning of a past tour and tell me about:
a comedic moment:
Slo: Ken and Mike were left behind at a show in Europe. They had to take a train to the next venue, but unfortunately they had no clothes to wear. When they arrived Ken was wearing only pajama bottoms and carrying his shower bag. Mike was wearing a Suzuki mechanics suit given to him by the previous venue.
a moment of perfection or beauty:
Slo: Last year at ozzfest, there was a storm front coming in from out of nowhere. The sky was split down the middle right above me. One half looked like half a dozen tornadoes were forming, while the other half was still a perfect unscathed summer sky.
a moment of ugliness:
Slo: Twenty drunk dudes moshing in the front lounge of a tour bus can get pretty ugly.
Thank you Slo! We'll be seeing you at the Sounds of the Underground tour!
Interview by: Carina