Jed Simon of
Strapping Young Lad |
Our magazine is called defy unlearn because we strive to defy labels and want people to “unlearn” what they have been taught.
1.What does “defy unlearn” mean to you?
Jed: Just what you said…plus a side of gravy.
2. When doing interviews is there a question you hate being asked?
Jed: Oh yes, “where did you get your name” is tops for me.
3a. How about a question you wish someone would ask you? b. Can you please answer that question?
Jed: No one particular question comes to mind…maybe if someone would just ask me if I’d like to go and have some tacos…that would be cool. Or ask me about guitars, I can talk about guitars forever…or perhaps, “What is your favorite color?” Blue…no, red…agggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
4. What kind of role did music play in your life when you were growing up?
Jed: It was literally my everything…I don’t think I would be here without it…‘here’ meaning where I am at right now in life. It’s been good to me, and I’ll be ever thankful that it has been such a big part of my life.
5. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Jed: I’d like to get into the restaurant biz…I may be skinny, but I love to eat!
6. Which of your songs would you like to see a cover version of and who would you like to see do it?
Jed: Anne Murray and Yanni doing a duet of ‘Oh My fucking God’.
7. What song do you like to perform the most live?
Jed: For me, Consequence…it’s got that great ‘Morbid style’ groove…love it.
8. Can you tell me one thing that makes a really good audience? Anything the people coming to see you at the Sounds of the Underground tour can do to show you their love?
Jed: Yeah, participation…the more people get into it, the more we feed off of it…and if your friend falls down, or gets knocked over, pick them up! The ‘fight’ is on the street, not in the venue, ya know?
9. Is there anyone on the Sounds of Underground tour that you haven’t played with and you’re really looking forward to sharing the bill with?
10. How does it feel to be part of the first annual Sounds of the Underground tour?
Jed: We are obviously honored…can’t wait to see all those great bands and make some new friends with those we haven’t met yet.
11. If Ben & Jerry made an ice cream in your honor and allowed you to create & name it, what would it be called and what would be in it?
Jed: It would be called SiniSusiSimon…dark chocolate, real Vanilla, peanut butter and stoli ‘rasperi’.
-Tour Interview Section-
Can you think back to the beginning of a past tour and tell me about:
a comedic moment:
Jed: Leaving Munesh high and dry in a cab in New York, one of my greatest practical jokes ever. We were leaving a bar, and I decided to stay at the last moment, so when he got into the cab, I pretended to follow, and just slammed the door behind him instead of getting in…the cabby hit the gas and sped off, and all I remember is seeing his face up against the window looking at me in shock…he was pissed off, and it was great!
a moment of perfection or beauty:
Jed: Meeting Susanna.
a moment of ugliness:
Jed: Almost falling off the stage in SF…to drunk, too stupid.
a moment of gratitude:
Jed: Century Media believing in us, and me.
Interview by: Carina